Mobile Assessment & Treatment Service
MATS is a mobile medical and nursing service aimed at providing hospital-type treatment to older people in the community. Although we primarily see people in residential care facilities, we can also see people in their homes.
Clinical service overview
MATS is a part of the Hospital Admission Risk Program (HARP). Our service comprises a Consultant Geriatrician, an advanced trainee in geriatric medicine, a medical registrar, senior registered nursing staff and an Aged Care Nurse Practitioner.
We accept referrals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We aim to:
- optimise and support primary care management of older people in the community
- minimise disruption to people's routine
- minimise avoidable hospital presentations or admissions to hospital
- facilitate early discharge from hospital
- medical management or advice of acute onset or chronic conditions, such as respiratory disease, cardiac disease or diabetes
- medical assessment and initiation of acute treatment including IV antibiotic therapy and subcutaneous fluid replacement. Common infections treated include urinary tract infection, respiratory infection and cellulitis
- arranging diagnostic services including pathology and radiology
- catheter care advice, emergency changes/replacements and education for management of urinary catheters
- mobile PEG program, including emergency replacement in the community
- wound management
- pain management
- follow up information for those who have presented to the Alfred with liaison between the hospital, Aged Care Home and GP
- assistance with development of goals in ongoing treatment plans for patients
Refer your patient
Call or fax your referral
We accept phone referrals for this service.
- Referral phone 1800 007 656
- Fax (03) 9076 5013