headspace provides young people with the opportunity to be heard and be active around youth mental health and alcohol and other drugs. headspace is a free confidential service for 12-25 year olds.
Clinical service overview
We provide youth friendly services including:
- Medical services
- Counselling services provided by psychologists, social workers and occupational therapists
- Drug and alcohol counselling
- School and work assistance
- Services to families/friends
- Youth early psychosis services
Alfred Health is the lead agency for headspace Bentleigh and headspace Elsternwick.
To refer to headspace Youth Early Psychosis, get in touch and let us know the details. If you’re unsure about whether to refer or not, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us to discuss.
We’ll confirm receipt of the referral and contact the young person within 24 hours to arrange an assessment.
If the young person doesn’t meet the criteria, we will support them and their family to identify and engage with other services that meet their needs.
Decisions around entry to this program will be based upon:
- The young person and family preference
- Past engagement with services
- Current service capacity to meet young person and family’s needs (including needs for outreach or intensive engagement)
Referrals to the service are made regardless of:
- Severity of difficulties
- Specific diagnoses
- Comorbidity including alcohol and drug use
- Need for coercive treatment
- Geographic location
- Forensic history
headspace Youth Early Psychosis Program
The headspace Youth Early Psychosis Program offers specialist support for young people who are experiencing, or at increased risk of developing, psychosis.
In South East Melbourne there are five headspace centres that work closely together to offer the headspace Youth Early Psychosis Program. Young people and their families can access the headspace Youth Early Psychosis Program at any of these five centres. Together, the five centres offer continuing care, functional recovery, mobile assessment and other services.
- headspace Elsternwick
- headspace Bentleigh
- headspace Frankston
- headspace Dandenong
- headspace Narre Warren
Mobile Assessment and Treatment Team (MATT)
The clinical care aims of the MATT service are to:
- Intervene early and effectively with young people at risk of their first episode of psychosis in the acute phase to try and prevent hospitalisation
- Work with families and young people who are hard to engage and have difficulty attending clinic based services
MATT provides a service out of usual business hours to young people and families who find it difficult to attend the centre or are in need of more intense services in the evenings or weekends.
MATT services are accessed via headspace Intake.
headspace Discovery College
headspace Discovery College is about learning from each other, sharing experiences and ideas to explore who we are, what works for us, what we want and what we can do. Discovery College values all different kinds of knowledge and experiences.
headspace Discovery College welcomes enrolments from all kinds of people interested in exploring ideas around mental health and wellbeing. Future students may come from different backgrounds including young people, friends, families and mental health professionals all there to learn from the course facilitators and each other.
For more information about courses that are available at headspace.
Refer your patient
GP, specialist or self-referral
We accept referrals from GPs, specialists, health professionals, family, carers, case managers and patients.
- Referral phone - Bentleigh/Elsternwick (03) 9076 9400
- Referral phone - Narrewarren/Dandenong 1800 367 968
- Referral phone - Frankston (03) 9769 6419
Assisting young people and families to find the right help for problems affecting wellbeing
Outlines services and location of headspace Bentleigh
Outlines services and location of headspace Elsternwick
Online help at eheadspace
eheadspace provides a confidential online and telephone support service seven days a week
South East Melbourne headspace Youth Early Psychosis Program
Find out about our program for young people who are experiencing, or at an increased risk of developing, psychosis.