Analysis of blood and other fluids for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes
Our service tests chemicals and biochemicals from the body, primarily in the form of bodily fluids, for investigation and diagnosis of illness and disease.
What we do
Some of the tests we can undertake include:
- routine blood and urine tests for investigation and monitoring of organ functions
- measurement of hormones and medication levels
- investigation of protein types and levels for the diagnosis of blood cancers and immunodeficiencies
- blood gas analysis, tumour follow up markers, bone markers and a host of other tests
Who we care for
We can a provide service for any patient who has had a pathology request slip completed by their GP and/or specialist.
Your doctor may suggest the most appropriate pathology service for your needs.
Patient Choice legislation allows patients to take a pathology request to an approved pathology practitioner or approved pathology authority of your choice, unless the requesting practitioner specifies an approved pathology practitioner for clinical reasons.
If you are still unsure, contact your doctor, or our patient enquiries number to discuss your needs with a staff member.
How to access this service
Referral from your GP
We accept requests from GPs and specialists. Your doctor needs to complete an Alfred Pathology Request form and either fax it to the service or give it you to bring in with you on the day of your procedure.
What to bring
Every time you come
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Private health insurance card (if applicable/if you want to use it)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Previous X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid(s) and/or walking frame if needed